Milford Haven – Pembroke
Milford Haven Harbour was designated as a Class A dockyard and port by the Home Ports Defence Committee, later the Home Defence Committee and was thus designed to resist attack from Battleships.
Milford Haven saw three main periods during which the fortifications were developed.
1850’s with smooth bore guns, which included:
- West Blockhouse
- Dale Fort
- North East Martello Tower and South West Martello Tower at Pembroke Dockyard
- Pater Battery
- Pembroke Defensible Barracks
- Thorn Island Fort was built after the 1858 like Stack Rock Fort
- Stack Rock Fort was initially a tower built in the 1850s. Between 1859 and 1871 a sea fort was built hear with sixteen guns held in one level of casemates.
Royal Commission Forts built during the 1860’s, mainly with RML guns:
Later Enhancements in the 1890’s onwards with Breech Loading guns:
- Chapel Bay Battery (Fort) was constructed between 1890 and 1891 and then upgraded between 1898 and 1901 to mount three 6-inch Mark VII guns and three 12-pdr Q.F. guns. A separate Quick Fire Battery was built outside the battery.
- Stack Rock Fort. Between 1900 and 1902 four 12-pdr Q.F. guns were mounted on the roof of the casemates.
- West Blockhouse Battery was built adjacent to the old Blockhouse between 1900 and 1902. It was armed with two 9.2-inch Mark X guns and three 6-inch Mark VII guns.
- East Blockhouse Battery with two 9.2-inch Mark X guns and three 6-inch Mark VII guns