Thorn Island FortThorn Island, Angle, Pembroke, UK
Thorn Island Fort (Thorne) was built between 1852 and 1857 to mount five 7-inch RBL guns and four 68-pdr SB guns. Similar armament to West Blockhouse, just across the bay. By 1871 the Fort had become largely redundant but was retained as a forward defence line for the submarine minefield lying between Chapel Bay Fort and Stack Rock Fort. Despite repeated considerations to mount heavier guns in the Fort, this was never done. Thorn Island Fort was disarmed in 1895.