Fort PoptonMilford Haven, UK
Fort Popton, which was also called Popton Point Battery, was built between 1859 and 1864 for a cost of £66.000. This was one of the Forts recommended by the 1858 Committee and is one of the Palmerston Forts. It is similar to basic layout to Fort Hubberstone on the other side of the estuary. Initially intended to mount:
- Thirteen 9-inch RML
- Fourteen 7-inch RML
- One 10-inch RML
By 1884 Fort Popton mounted the following armaments:
- Casemates by the sea with eight 9-inch RML. This was intended to have armoured shields, but they were never fitted.
- Moncrieff Battery with two 7-inch RML guns although there were a total of six Moncrieff pits built.
- Open Battery to the side of the casemates with six 9-inch RML and one 10-inch RML
The Barracks Block lies up the hill from the gun emplacements and is hexagonal in shape with six small bastion towers to provide musketry fire alone the flanks.
Fort Popton remained in military use but was largely redundant by 1905.