Royal Clarence Victualling YardGosport, UK
The Royal Clarence Victualling Yard was built on about twenty hectares of land in Gosport, adjacent to Priddy’s Hard. It was obtained in 1751 when the Victualling Commissioners purchased the Henry Player Brewery here. It was steadily expanded over the coming decades to provide the Royal Navy with alcohol, food, clothing and water. In 1844 with a new railway line used by Queen Victoria when travelling to and from the Isle of Whyte.
The Yard remained in military control until the end of the 1990s. The whole site has now been redeveloped for housing with many of the original buildings surviving. The Royal Clarence Victualling Yard is similar, but from a much earlier period, to the Royal William Yard in Plymouth.