Royal William YardStonehouse, Plymouth, UK
The Royal William Yard was one of the Royal Navy’s major victualling yards. It is positioned adjacent to the Devonport Dockyard and covers some sixteen acres in total.
The Victualling Yard was built between 1826 and 1835. When built, it concentrated in one location the preparation of food an beverage for use by the Royal Navy. In 1831 the Beer Ration was withdrawn in the Royal Navy and tinned food was increasingly being used to feed the Fleet. This result in the site being used largely for the storage of food rather than preparation of food and drink. In 1891 a large part of the Royal William Yard was handed over for use as a Royal Naval Ordnance Depot.
By 1892 there were Royal Navy Ordnance Depots in England located at:
- Woolwich Arsenal on the Thames
- Upnor, Rochester
- Priddy’s Hard, Portsmouth
- Portsmouth Dockyard
- Plymouth Dockyard
- Bull Point, Devonport