Garden BatteryPlymouth, UK
Garden Battery was a casemated battery built between 1862 and 1863. It was originally intended that it mount seven 9-inch RML guns behind iron shields. The battery was plagued with problems including damp in the magazine and disagreements over the guns to be mounted. The Battery was report to mount heavy guns by 1880. It appears to have been armed with four 64-pdrs and three 6-pdr QF guns by the early 1890s, but by 1900 it was armed with four 12-pdr QF guns and two machine guns.This was later reduced to two 12-pdr guns.
The Battery was ideally placed to cover the boom defences that run across the 200 metre channel of water to Devil’s Point. This 12-pdr Battery was intended to work in conjunction with Devil’s Point and Western King’s 12-pdr batteries.
Earl’s Battery was a smoothbore battery on the casemate roof which mounted twenty one captured French guns.