Western Kings 12-pdr BatteryPlymouth, UK
The original battery on this site was built between 1861 and 1862 to mount nine guns in what was the old Western King Redoubt. It was armed with 64-pdr guns.
Western Kings 12-pdr Quick Fire Battery was built between May 1898 and September 1898. The cost of the QF Battery was £4,000. This was a battery of seven 12-pdr Quick Fire guns and at least two Maxim Machine guns on the western side. On the east side of the battery was an old position for four 64-pdr RML guns. This old part of the 64-pdr battery is now a car park. The remaining five 64-pdr guns of the original battery were built over with the new 12-pdr QF Battery.
On the right hand (west) side of the 12-pdr gun emplacements there are the remains of two mounts for Maxim Machine Guns.
This battery was adjacent to the Devil’s Point Battery with two 12-pdr QF guns.
National Archives WO 78/5046