Fort PicklecombePicklecombe Drive, Plymouth, UK
Fort Picklecombe evolved over the years from an early bulwark in the 16th Century and present remains include:
- Picklecombe Battery
- Fort Picklecombe
- Submarine Mining Establishment and DELs
Picklecombe Battery was similar in design and concept to Staddon Pont Battery which stands behind Fort Bovisand. Build between 1845 and 1848, Picklecombe Battery was armed with three 56-pdr and six 32-pdr guns, but the gun platform has been lost to later development. The battery included defensible barracks which are now flats. The moat of the barracks were later used for the underground engine room for Picklecombe Submarine Mining Establishment built in 1896.
The Royal Commission Fort was built between 1861 and 1867 but was not armed until 1880. Forty two RML guns in casemated positions, although a further sixteen had been planned for on the roof. This double tiered casemated battery is very similar to Garrison Point Fort on the Medway. Both forts had to tiers of guns behind iron shields.
By 1899 six Quick Fire guns had been mounted on the roof of the Fort to combat Motor Torpedo Boats.