Singapore

Posted on September 17, 2020 / 7
Listing Type : Coaling Station
Location : Singapore

The natural harbour of Keppel in Singapore was not established as an anchorage by the British until the middle of the 19th Century with the harbour completed in 1886.  There were three docks built which have now all be lost under development:

  • Number 1 Dock completed in 1859
  • Number 2 (Victoria) Dock completed in 1868
  • Number 3 (Albert) Dock completed in 1879

During the interwar years the Royal Navy established a new dockyard on the northern side of Singapore Island at Sembawang (1938 to 1958), and most of the old dockyards at Keppel Harbour have now been lost to urban development.  The outline of the old dry docks can be seen surround by new housing blocks.

Singapore was a coaling station and had coastal defence batteries to defend the harbour.  These included:

  • Fort Canning
  • Fort Connaught
  • Fort Passeir Panjang
  • Fort Siloso
  • Fort Slingsing
  • Fort Tanjong Katong
  • Mount Imbiah
  • Mount Serapong and Serapong Spur Batteries
  • Mount Palmer Battery 1862
  • Fort Teregah 1894
  • Fort Fullerton 1847
  • Fort Faber 1857

 

 

 

    Related Listings