Fort Albert

Isle of Wight, Newport, UK
Posted on October 6, 2022 / 39
Listing Type : Coastal Fort
Location : England

Fort Albert or Cliff End Fort, is located opposite Hurst Castle and help protect the western approaches to Portsmouth Harbour.  This coastal defence fort was designed by William Jervois and was originally intended to be four floors with a total of twenty nine guns.  Built between 1852 and 1856 is predated the introduction of Rifle Muzzle Loading guns and was thus designed for a mix of 68-pdr and 8-inchSmooth Bore guns.  The armament for Fort Albert was:

Ground Floor

Seven 68-pdr Smooth Bore

69-pdr_gun

First Floor

Seven 8-inch SB Howitzers

Second Floor

Seven 8-inch SB Howitzers

Roof

6 X 32-pdr, 2 X 8-inch Howitzer

32-pdr_SB_gun

In 1861 the seven 68-pdrs were removed and replaced by 7-inch RBL guns.  Consideration was given to replacing the guns on the uppers floor with similar guns, but they were removed in 1872 and not replaced.

Between 1886 and 1888 part of the fort was modified to enable a Brennan Torpedo Station to be established here.  A slipway was built with torpedo store and engine room.  Much of this structure was a wooden extension built abutting the north end of Fort Albert.  The four floors of the Fort adjacent to this Torpedo Station were partially filled with sea sand to protect the station from enemy bombardment.

    Related Listings