Pier Cellars QF BatteryPlymouth, UK
Pier Cellars QF battery was approved in 1895 and constructed in 1898. It mount two 12-pdr Quick Fire Guns with an underground magazine between the two emplacements. There was also a single Maxim Machine gun mounted on the end of the Brennan Torpedo Station Pier. The battery, working with Grenville Battery on Marker Hill, covered the Examination Anchorage and minefield. It is believed that the 12-pdr Quick Fire Battery was decommissioned in 1908 with the closing of the Brennan Torpedo Station. The 12-pdr Battery was re-activated in 1908 as a result of recommendations made by the Owen Committee.
In 1910 to new Defence Electric Lights were built to help protect the approaches to Plymouth Sound. These were located on two headlands just to the east of the 12-pdr Battery.
The underground works at the battery have now been back filled, but the gun emplacements remain.