Edgcumbe RedoubtPlymouth, UK
Edgcumbe Redoubt which was also known as Maker Redoubt No.6 was built during the Napoleonic Wars on the top of a low hill that overlooks Millbrook Lake. It is square in plan, with two caponiers, one in the southeast and the other in the northwest. These caponiers look much like blockhouses with all round defence. The works was surrounded by a dry ditch. Although initially intended to be armed with smooth bore guns facing west, the Redoubt was disarmed by 1866. It was used as barracks for forty artillerymen.