Bluff Battery was originally a smooth bore battery built in about 1790 on a limestone bluff protecting the Stonehouse Bridge below. It was armed with six 9-pdr or 12-pdr guns. In 1850 it was used as a magazine and between 1860-8 appears to have been modified with new south facing emplacements to protect the new Dock Lines. There were two sets of gun emplacements built, facing South, three on the west side and two on the east side. It is now know what guns, if any, were mounted. The magazine is show as being at the east end of the bluff.Loop holed walls were also built covering the road up from Stonehouse Bridge.
The Battery is now in private hands but much remains.