Port FairyPort Fairy VIC, Australia
Port Fairy Battery was built as a result of the 1877 report prepared by Major General Sir William Jervois and Lieutenant Colonel Peter Scratchley.
Port Fairy Coastal Battery was built to mount two 68-pdr SB Muzzle Loading guns in 1874 and these were in earthen emplacements. These guns were from Low Moor, Serial Numbers 7261 and 7271.
In 1889 these two SB guns were replaced by two 80-pdr SB RML guns. These guns were RGF serial number 17 and 22 both dated 1886. The construction of the batteries cost a total of £1,933 (AUS$3866).
A brief summary of the Warrnambool, Port Fairy and Portland Batteries and volunteer units serving them, prepared by David McGinness, can be downloaded here.