The Wardija Defence Line was a series of infantry defence positions built on the North face of the Wardija Ridge. A similar series of defences was built on the Mellieha Ridge Line.
The positions were primarily rock cut trenches facing down hill. The trenches had a tendency to flood, because there was no run off, but the sparse rain made it a minor concern. In some cases there was concrete platform and trenches for Maxime Machine Guns.
The Wardija Defence Line was built between 1903 and 1904 and was supplement to the Victoria Lines. This was not a continuous defence line but a series of defended points on the northern upper slopes. The were dispersed between Wardija Coastal Battery in the East to a ridge overlooking Ghajn Tuffieha (Golden Bay) in the West.
It is suspected that some of the positions have been lost under development or not located.