Shotley Point BatteryShotley, Ipswich, UK
Shotley Point Battery was built to a design of Colonel W.F.D. Jervois to mount fourteen 68-pdr guns covering the junction of the River Stow and River Orwell. The battery had a brick Carnot wall with small projections for flanking fire. Three guns were mounted on corners in barbette mounts, while the other eleven guns fired through embrasures. The Armament for the Battery was:
- 1863 14 x 68-pdr guns
- 1873 14 x 7-inch RBL guns, three of these were en barbette on circular positions
- 1891 2 x 10-inch BL guns which saw the destruction of six old gun emplacements
The Battery was decommissioned in 1901 and the site was handed to the Admiralty in 1904 as H.M.S. Ganges
Much of the original battery has been destroyed or backfilled, but about one quarter of the gun line survives.