Grandes Rocques BatteryGuernsey
Grandes Rocques Battery is also known as Grandes Rocques Fort, was built in 1779 to mount three 24-pdr guns. There was a detached magazine to the rear of the battery which has also survived. The actual battery was used well into the later half of the 19th Century. Barracks were built some 200 metres inland in 1812 at a cost of £3,698. These barracks accommodated a total of twenty five soldiers, including three officers (TNA WO 78/2306 ). These barracks were still in use in 1883 (TNA WO 78/2562).
During the German Occupation the Grandes Rocques Battery was heavily modified with new observation positions and a machine gun emplacement.