Fort Richmond was initially a two gun smooth bore battery but between 1855 and 1856 the British built a defensible barracks here. The barracks were surrounded by a dry moat and the building was sunk into the ground to protect it from incoming fire.
There were at least four smooth bore guns mounted outside the barracks, possibly 68-pdr SB guns and/or 8-inch shell guns. In 1878 this was upgraded to two 64-pdr RML guns.
In 1908 the site was decommissioned, although returned to the War Department again in 1914 before being relinquished again in 1922.