Fort George in Guernsey lies on the cliff top although it did include Clarence Battery below. Fort George was in effect a garrison which a total of ten batteries, with internal defence lines and an enclosing wall. Within this garrison, similar to others found in the Caribbean such as Barbados, there were barracks, stores, messes and numerous associated buildings. Unfortunately in the 1960s the site was developed and most of the defences were destroyed.
Fort GeorgeSaint Peter Port, Guernsey
FORT GEORGE CITADEL
Fort George, a star fort sometimes referred to as the Citadel. Built between 1782 and 1812. By 1879 had four 8-inch SB Howitzers and thirty three 24-pdr SB guns. The whole fort has been lost.
Charlotte Battery which was a land battery covering the land approaches. Eleven 12-pdr guns then in 1879 it mounted a single 68-pdr SB gun. The gorge loop holed wall which can still be seen.
York Battery mounted a single 8-inch Howitzer and six 18-pdr SB guns.
Adolphuss Battery mounted three 24-pdr SB guns.
Casemated barracks with three 24-pdr SB guns.
ADOPHUSS COUNTERGUARD BATTERY
Adolphuss Counterguard battery with four 18-pdr SB guns.
OUTER DEFENCE WALL
A surrounding defence wall, with batteries and some musketry loop holes. Included Queen’s Lines and Price’s Lines. There was a dry moat in parts.
Belvidere Battery mounted a single a single 68-pdr and three 18-pdr guns. Previously armed with two 6-pdr SB guns and one 32-pdr SB gun. Earlier this was split into a Left and Right Battery.
Four 24-pdr SB guns.
Irwin Battery, two 6-inch BL guns now built over.
TOWN POINT BATTERY
Town Point Battery mounted a single 68-pdr gun by 1870. Initially armed with three 12-pdr SB and one 32-pdr SB.
Advanced, North and South Fleche. Advanced Fleche mounted two 9-pdr guns and one 24-pdr Howitzer.
Clarence Battery is the subject of a sperate listing. In 1879 Clarence Battery mounted three 7-inch RBL guns and 7-inch SB Howitzers.