Castle Cornet

Guernsey
Posted on August 23, 2023 / 12
Listing Type : Coastal Fort
Location : Channel Islands

The original Castle Cornet was built on an island between 1206 and 1256 to protect the entrance to St Peters Port.  In 1859 it was incorporated into the breakwater of the main harbour.

During the smooth bore era it had some military significance but with the introduction of the breech loading guns, Irwin Battery and the defence around Fort George became more important.

Prior to 1847, the Anchorage (Great Roads) at St Helier was covered by six 32-pdr SB guns and the Northern approaches were covered by three 32-pdrs, all on dwarf platforms.  The new armament from 1857 was primarily 68-pdrs and 8-inch Shell guns:

BATTERY NAME

Cavalier South Face

Cavalier West Face

North Salient

East Angle

Well Battery

South Battery

NUMBER OF GUNS

Two

Four

One

One

One

Two

TYPE OF GUNS

One 18-pdr of 42cwt & One 68-pdr of 112cwt

Four 18-pdr of 42cwt

One 8-inch shell gun of 65cwt

One 68-pdr of 112cwt

One 8-inch shell gun of 65cwt

Left Gun – one 68-pdr of 112cwt

Right Gun – one 8-inch shell gun of 65cwt

    Related Listings