Princess Carolines Battery
Princess Caroline’s Battery was originally 1st Willis’s Battery and mounted three iron 9-pdrs in 1744.
In 1859 it mounted three 24-pdr guns and for a short while before 1877 it mounted a single 9-inch RML gun.
By 1886 this was adjusted to two 80-pdr guns
In 1892 the two 80-pdr guns were replaced by two 64-pdr guns on depression carriages.
Between January 1889 and November 1890 work was carried out to convert the battery to a 6-inch BL Q.F. Mark VII gun. In 1904 the 6 ins Mark VII BL gun was mounted. The battery had underground shelter and magazines.
The UK National Archives references are:
- WO 78/5276
- WO 78/4003