Coverport(e) Battery was built in 1761 to shield the Landport Gate from direct fire. It was built over an earlier redan.
Plans from 1823 show this position as holding fourteen guns, but it is not sure if this was a redevelopment of the existing battery.
This was a three-gun emplacement and in 1859 and mounted three 24-pdr guns. A map from 1866 shows three guns, and immediately behind this a building identified as the Landport Guard. The rear of this building ran along the top of the moat.
By 1886 the battery was unarmed and out of use.
In 1940 it was initially armed with a 4-inch naval gun acting in an anti-tank role. This was later replaced by a 6-pdr 7 cwt Anti-Tank gun.
UK National Archives
- MPH 1/929
- WO 78/4448