St Mawes 12-pdr BatterySt Mawes, Truro, UK
St Mawes 12-pdr Battery was built between 1900 and 1904 to help protect the minefield between St Mawes Castle and Pendennis Castle. The battery was located up the hill behind St Mawes Castle to give a better field of fire than the 6-pdr Battery in the Castle. This 12-pdr Battery was built in three phases. First to be built was two 12-pdr gun emplacements with underground magazine and shelters to the rear. This was followed by two additional 12-pdr emplacements and the caretakers cottage. A Electric Light Control Post and a Mining Control Post were also built on the west end of the battery.
The Battery was decommissioned in 1907.
The whole battery and associated works remain well preserved.
TNA WO 192/274 Fort Log