Drop Battery is an often forgotten site as it has largely been demolished and lies in dense scrub. Built in 1853 the battery was originally armed with eight 8-inch Howitzers on barbette mounts. Consideration was given to using 42-pdr guns (originally introduced in 1840s) and it is accessed that these were used.
Between 1859 and 1862 Drop Battery was upgraded and a new magazine (G Magazine) was built. Alterations to the main lines, let to the building of a new emplacement above the G Magazine, possibly armed with a 7-inch RBL or 64-pdr RML.
1876 returns show the battery to be armed with six guns, three of the old 42-pdr guns and three of the new 7-inch RBL guns. The whole battery was armed with 64-pdr RML guns after this date and by 1886 mounted five of these guns.
The battery was disarmed in 1886. A miniature rifle range was built on the site in 1926.
Little trace of the original battery remains but the G Magazine is in good condition in 2022.