South Sutor Battery was built to mount a single 9.2-inch BL gun acting in a counter bombardment role. Built in 1913 the gun was fitted into a most unusual ‘tear drop’ shaped pit. This appears to have been designed by the Admiralty, with the whole Battery under naval control and manned by a Royal Marine Artillery crew. The battery design was similar to that of the 9.2-inch Battery at North Sutor.
There were two Defence Electric Lights on the shore line, connected to each other by a rather precarious aerial walkway.
In 1939 the Battery was completely remodelled to mounted two 6-inch Mark VII guns. The old 9.2-inch magazine was reused for the Number 2 or B gun. An escape hatch from this magazine emerged into the old 9.2-inch gun pit.
A short track led out to the slope above the 4-inch QF Battery, some 400 metres to the West.