Fort WestmorelandCork, Ireland
Work on the original Fort Westmoreland commenced in about 1802 but work was stalled during the Napoleonic Wars. Little was done until 1847 when work recommenced using convict labour. This work was completed in 1859 with plans to mount some eighty smooth bore guns. The Fort has six bastions and ample barrack accommodation. Number 3 Bastion faced the harbour entrance, and was the principal location for the guns.
Fort Westmoreland was upgraded by 1874 to mount RML guns.
The armament of Fort Westmorland was in 1866, three 12-inch RMLS, two 11-inch RMLs and four 8-inch SB guns. By 1905 two 6-inch Mark VII BL guns had been added, covering the main entrance to the harbour.