Mumbles BatteryMumbles, UK
Mumbles Battery was built as one of the Palmerston Forts between 1859 and 1860. It was intended to help protect Swansea Bay from hostile attack.
The armament was initially five 80-pdr RML guns. Two of these guns were in casemates in the front of the sea face, the other three being mounted on the roof. In 1892 the Mumbles Battery was decommissioned.
Between 1899 and 1901 construction work was carried out to sea up the two old casemated positions, and then mount two 4.7-inch Q.F. guns on the roof.
On the southern side of the island is an old wooden gantry with anchor stones which was used to haul the heavy guns up to the battery from the beach.
The location was used throughout World War 2.