The Prospect Barracks were built on the high ground immediately adjacent to Fort Prospect. It is also sometimes referred to as Prospect Camp.
The Barracks were developed from about 1840 onwards, prior to this the military had been concentrated at Ireland Island. This became the principal military garrison for Bermuda, situated close to Forts Langton, Hamilton and Prospect.
Warwick Camp, a few miles away, was developed about the same time but primarily for musketry ranges. Warwick Camp became the training location while Prospect Barracks was the headquarters for the Army and Royal Garrison Artillery. The Royal Marine Light Infantry continued to have barracks at the Casemates, Outer Works at Ireland Island.
Much of the site has now been redeveloped but some of the old barracks buildings can still be seen and the guard house survives, although renovated.