Fort Victoria was the principal fortification on Retreat Hill. Fort Albert (Eastern Redoubt) lies about 150 metres to the East and Fort James (Western Redoubt) lies 250 metres to the South of Fort Victoria.
Fort Victoria was built in the 1820s as the Citadel (final place of resort) for St Georges which was then the capital. In the event of a successful hostile landing this would be the fortification to which troops and civilians retreated. Approval to build Fort Victoria came in 1826. It was to take a number of years to built but by 1842 was completed with eighteen 32-pdrs and two 32-pdr carronades.
Fort Victoria was hexagonal in shape, some 50 meters long and 30 meters wide. The works was protected by a deep dry outer moat, with a ravelin tower on the North and South faces. Four counterscarp galleries provided protection for the outer moat, linked to the main keep by underground tunnels. There was a central keep, protected by another dry moat which also had counterscarp galleries to provide protection.
In the 1870s the armament of Fort Victoria was upgraded with eight 64-pdr RML guns of 58 cwt, three 11-inch RMLs, two 8-inch SB mortars, two SB 18-pdr guns in one counterscarp gallery and one 24-pdr SB on the South Ravelin. The RML guns were distributed thus: