South Gare Battery was built between 1890 and 1892 to protect the mouth of the River Tees. The battery was armed with two 4.75 Q.F. guns and two 6-pdr Q.F. Guns. Two defence electric light supported the batteries.
A Royal Engineer Submarine Mining Establishment was built adjacent to South Gare Battery. The 6-pdr guns were intended to provide immediate protection for this minefield.
Teesside was classified as a Class C Commercial Port by the Home Ports Defence Committee, later the Home Defence Committee with defences designed to resist attack by unarmoured cruisers and block ships. The 1905 recommendation was that the two 6-pdr Q.F. guns be withdrawn.