Broughty Castle Submarine Mining EstablishmentDundee, UK
Broughty Castle Submarine Mining Depot was built in the 1880’s on a site immediately to the east of Brought Castle.
From 1888 the Mine Depot was primarily operated by the Tay Division Submarine Miners. Submarine Mining was abandoned in 1905 and the Tay Division Submarine Miners were absorbed into the Royal Engineers, Fortress Engineers in 1907.
All that remains of the Submarine Mining Depot is the Officers Quarters, a two storey stone building.
In 1888 the Tay Volunteer Division (Submarine Miners) was formed at Dundee. Initially there were three companies, expanded to four in 1900.They were disbanded in 1907.
The Submarine Miners made use of the steam boats, Sir William Reid and the Dundas to lay and recover mines.
For more information on the use of Submarine Mines between 1863 and 1907 see here.