Simons Town Martello Tower
Simons Town Martello Tower was built by the British at in 1795. The Tower was intended to protect the nearby naval magazine and also defend South (Boetselaar) Battery 150 metres to the south. It can not be confirmed that any gun was ever mounted on the top of the tower, but it is assumed that a single 24-pdr was used. The Tower was used to accommodate a guard detachment of Royal Marines until about 1900 when the Royal Naval Dockyard was expanded and enclosed within a wall.