Scala A GunSimonstown, Cape Town, South Africa
Scala Battery is built on the hillside above North Lower Battery. The battery consists of three gun emplacements, each on a separate ridge. The Highest of these gun emplacements is the Number 1 or A gun. The first built was the Number 3 or C gun which is the lower of the three sites. The C gun is located at about 190 metres above sea level.
Scala Battery was built in about 1902 with a single 9.2-inch BL gun, now the C gun positions. Plans from 1907 (WO 78/4945) show the battery as built then.
Returns from 1912 shows that at this time Scala Battery had a single 9.2-inch BL Mark X gun on a Mark V mount. This is shown as a reserve gun.
The Scala A gun was the last of the three guns mounted, probably in 1939.