Lower North Fixed Beam DELSimonstown, Cape Town, South Africa
The Lower North Fixed Beam Defence Electric Light was built on the hillside, just to the rear of Lower North Battery. The searchlight emplacement was built between September 1901 and June 1902 for a total cost of £181. A concrete structure, covered with earth to provide protection and camouflage. The Engine Room from the Defence Electric Lights was inside the iron palisade of Lower North Battery. See TNA WO 78/4942 and 4941 for details. Together with another searchlight one shore line, it was responsible for covering the minefield and approaches to the anchorage.