Point BatteryPortsmouth, UK
This area includes Point Battery, the Round Tower and Point Barracks. The original defences here date back to the 1400s and included a boom between Round Tower and a similar Tower at Blockhouse. Between 1847 and 1850 the site was redeveloped and new casemates added.
The battery is ‘L’ shaped with five 32-pdr SB guns in the casemates facing the approaches and above the casemates barracks, facing toward Fort Blockhouse two barbette gun positions. The total armament for the battery was:
- 1885 to 1893 primarily eleven 80-pdr RML guns and two 7-inch RBL.
- 1893-1900 two 80-pdr RML, two 7-inch RBL, two 64-pdr RML and one 9-inch RML
- 1900 to 1902 wo 64-pdr RML, one 9-inch RML, five 12-pdr QF and two Maxim Machine Guns
- Thereafter is was five 12-pdr QF guns.
A total of three Defence Electric Lights were constructed to illuminate the entrance pasage.