The Gunwharf, later known as HMS Vernon, was adjacent to the Portsmouth Dockyard. Originally built as an Ordnance Yard in 1706, it was steadily developed over the the coming years. It was here that warships unloaded their main armament when ships went into the Dockyard for work. It was a major facility during the Napoleonic Wars, but as weapons developed from the 1850s onwards its’ importance as a location for the removal and storage of guns declined. In 1858 the Royal Marine Artillery took over part of the buildings, and they were replaced by the Army Ordnance Corps.
The whole site has now been redeveloped for commercial and housing purposes but many of the old buildings survive.