Eastney West Battery
Eastney West Battery is one of the two coastal defence batteries at Eastney in front of the old Royal Marine Barracks. Built between 1861 and 1863 the West Battery is almost identical to the East Battery. The two Eastney batteries appear to have had a rampart with parapet and covered way running between them
The position had a dry moat to the front and sides with small caponiers. The gorge was covered by a loopholed wall with three gun embrasures for field guns. Initially a position armed with twelve smooth bore guns, but the armament after redevelopment was:
- One 6-inch Mark IV BL gun on a hydropneumatic mounts
- Four 64-pdr 58cwt RML guns
Two of the 64-pdr West facing emplacements were later converted to Maxim Machine gun emplacements.