Verne CitadelVerne Hill Road, Portland, UK
Initial plans for Verne Citadel date back to 1845, but building of the structure took place between 1858 and 1869. Verne Citadel was initially treated as being part and parcel of the East Weare Batteries.
Initial Armament was two 12.5-inch RML guns, five 7-inch RML guns, one 8-SB gun of 54cwt and one 10-inch RML.
The Citadel had accommodation for eighteen officer and four hundred and eighty four men, with ten mobile guns.
By 1893 the armament had been increased to one 10-inch RML, two 12.5-inch RML guns, five 7-inch RML guns, eight 8-inch SB, one 32-pdr Sb and thirteen 40-pdr RBL guns. By 1899 the armament had been reduced to just five guns, two 12.5ionch RML and three 7-inch RML.