Inner Pier Head BatteryWeymouth, UK
The Inner Pier Head Fort was built between 1859 and 1862 from Portland stone on the end of a short breakwater. This is a short pier running from the dockyard that was built between 1849 and 1872. The Breakwater Fort on the detached pier was completed in 1875. The circular fort was separated from the pier with a dry ditch and drawbridge.
It was armed with eight 64-pdr guns firing out of embrasures. By 1902 these 64-pdr guns had been replaced by two 12-pdr Quick Fire guns.