Port of Spain, Trinidad
Trinidad had a Spanish presence from 1560 onwards until it was captured by the British in 1797. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars the British remained and the city and harbour of Port of Spain steadily expanded.
Significant fortifications were built around the Port of Spain in the early 1800s, particularly around Fort George which included a number of redoubts and batteries as shown on the plan in the iamges. Other fortifications of this period were at:
- Fort Abercrombry situated in Las Cuevas
- Fort Picton in Laventille
- Fort San Andrés on Wrightson Road
However, by 1850 there was no real plan to defend the Port of Spain and in 1846 Fort George was abandoned. No new coastal defence batteries were built until the run up to the World War 2. During World War 2 the United States built a significant Naval Base at Chaguaramas which was defended by coastal defence batteries including a British 6-inch site on Gaspar Grande.