Stokes Bay Submarine Mining Establishment (Lost)Stokes Bay Road, Gosport, UK
In 1892 a centre for training the Royal Engineers in the use of defence electric lights and submarine mines was established in Stokes Bay, Portsmouth. A similar establishment was built in Plymouth. There was a pier already here, built by a Mr Leather to build the Spithead Forts, which was utilised for the Portsmouth Submarine Mining Establishment. The training centre included classrooms and storage for the storage and perpetration of submarine mines for deployment. An 18-inch narrow gauge railway was used to move mines around the establishment and out onto the pier.
The site has now been lost, although the odd piece of rail track can still be seen.