Raleigh BatteryPlymouth, UK
Raleigh Battery is located adjacent to Hawkins Battery cover the western approaches to Plymouth Sound. The battery was built between 1890 and 1893 to mount two 10-inch BL guns (of 29 tons) in barbette emplacements. The guns were mounted in 1894. with the battery being placed in reserve in 1910. The battery was handed over to Edgecumb Estates by the MOD in 1946.
The battery entrance is a sunken track which leads directly into the Number 2 gun pit. Two two gun pits lie adjacent to each other, separated by an underground passageway which includes two shell stores and two cartridge stores.