Lord Howard’s Battery was built between 1905 and 1909 to mount two 6-inch Mark VII BL guns. The two gun pits were linked by an underground shell and cartridge store with lifts to emplacements.
The battery covered the approaches to the Dockyard and also helped cover the merchant anchorage in Jennycliff Bay. The battery was deactivated by 1936 but activated again in 1941. After 1946 the site was decommissioned, and the emplacements and underground works backfilled.