Laira Battery (Fort) was built as the eastern anchor of the land defences on the outskirts of Plymouth. One of the Palmerston Fort built as a result of the Royal Commission on National Defence 1859.
Built close to Fort Efford it was intended to cover the the Laira river, with steep slopes running down to the river. Built to mount thirteen guns, three in Haxo Casemates and ten in embrasures ont he ramparts. Initially eleven 7-inch RBL and two Smooth Bore guns. By 1893 reduced to three 7-inch RBL and two 64-pdr RML.
300 metres to the rear of the Battery is Laira Emplacement built for six guns.