Hawkins Battery was built between 1888 and 1892 to mount four 9-inch RML guns, similar to Tregantle Down Battery. The four HAF guns were mounted in 1895 but by 1914 they had been removed and replaced by two 9.2-inch High Angle Fire guns in 1916.
Hawkins Battery has a perimeter wall with a blockhouse type caponier on each of the corners of the sea facing front. The gorge was covered by a single caponier in the centre and a tower like structure. Hawkins Fort was self contained with accommodation in addition to the guns. The front of the battery was protected by a dry moat and concrete parapet wall.