Grenville Battery was built within the old Maker No.4 Redoubt on Maker Heights.
Between 1887 and 1890 two 12.5-inch 38 ton RML guns were mounted on the south flank of the Redoubt facing the entrance to Plymouth Sound. In 1899 these RMLs were replaced by three 4.7-inch Q.F. guns. These guns remained operational until the interwar years.
Immediately adjacent to Grenville Battery is Marker Battery and the name of the two batteries is often confused.