Fort Scraesdon was built between 1859 and 1862. Fort Scaresdon was about one and a half miles from Fort Tregnatle, and they were connected by a railway track that started at Wacker Quay. Fort Tregantle and Fort Scraesdon were intended to protect the peninsulr opposite Deveonport Dockyard from any land attack from the West.
Fort Scaraesdon was built on two levels. These were connected to each other with tunnels and flanking scarp galleries.