Fort Bowden or Bowden Battery was one of the fortifications protecting the land approaches to Devonport. Built between 1863 and about 1870. It was designed to mount twelve guns, eight 7-inch RBL, four 8-inch Howitzers and two SB flanking guns. By 1885 it was only armed with seven 7-inch RBL guns.
By 1893 only two 7-inch RBL guns remained, with four 64-pdr RML guns now mounted.