Dartmouth Point BatteryDartmouth, UK
Dartmouth Point Battery was first established as a coastal defence battery in 1747 when it was called Grand Battery. Between January 1860 and February 1861 it was renovated and was then called Dartmouth Point Battery. This new construction cost some £3,459 with a total of five guns, three in casemates and two in open positions above. It was armed with 68-pdr SB guns in the casemates, and an 8-inch SB howitzer in the small side casemate. On the upper level were two 10-inch SB guns in the open positions above.
In 1890 or 1891 the old smoothbore guns were replaced by five 64-pdr RML guns, three in the casemates and two on the terreplein. When installed these RML guns were already obsolete and consideration was given during the 1890s to installing 6-pdr QF guns and 4.7-inch QF guns, but nothing every developed.
The Battery was decommissioned in 1908 but was again active during World War 2 with two 4.7-inch QF naval guns.