Chapel Bay Q.F. BatteryMilford Haven, UK
Posted on August 22, 2021 / 12
Chapel Bay Q.F. Battery was built just outside the actual boundary of Chapel Bay Fort. This was a linear trench system running along the slope facing towards Stack Rock Fort. The Battery included the following:
- Three 12-pdr Quick Fire guns with underground magazine on the western end by Chapel Bay Battery.
- A length of trench with two Maxim Machine Gun positions.
- A large underground engine room and oil storage facility. This was part of the Milford Haven Submarine Mining Establishment. There was also a Test Room here for the minefield.
- Two observation posts, one for Search Light Direction and the other for Mine Control.
- A second length of trench in an ‘L’ shape with two Maxime Machine Guns.
- A searchlight complex on the headland with underground passages.
- A slipway on the shore line for delivery of supplies and equipment. Also use for vessels deploying or guarding the adjacent minefield.